A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a profound and severe injury that can result in profound and lasting impacts. It can happen to anyone at any time and can result from accidents like car collisions, slip-and-falls, or even violent crimes. If you or a loved one has suffered a TBI, you may be overwhelmed with the aftermath. There are so many questions to answer, like how to pay for medical bills, when to return to work, or how to cope with changes in daily life. One of the most crucial steps you can take after a TBI is hiring a personal injury attorney.
Benefits of Retaining a Personal Injury Lawyer
A TBI can result in severe physical, cognitive, and psychological impairments that can make it challenging to manage daily life. Even seemingly minor tasks like dressing, bathing, or driving can become overwhelming after a TBI. Hiring a personal injury attorney can ease this burden by managing legal and financial matters. Some of the benefits of hiring a personal injury attorney include:
- Expertise: Personal injury attorneys have the expertise and experience to handle TBI cases and can provide sound legal advice and guidance through the entire process.
- Investigation: Your attorney can help gather evidence and investigate your case to prove negligence on the part of the responsible party.
- Negotiation: A personal injury attorney possesses the knowledge and skills to engage in negotiations with insurance companies and other parties, aiming to secure a just settlement on your behalf.
- Advocacy: Your attorney can represent you in court, present your case, and fight for your rights.
Factors to Assess Prior to Engaging a Personal Injury Lawyer
Selecting the appropriate personal injury lawyer is of utmost importance and should not be underestimated. You want to ensure that you get the best possible representation for your case. When hiring a personal injury attorney after a TBI, consider the following:
- Experience: Choose a personal injury attorney who has experience in TBI cases and has a track record of successful outcomes.
- Communication: Your lawyer should be readily available and willing to address any inquiries you may have during the legal proceedings.
- Fees: Many personal injury attorneys only get paid if you receive a settlement, working on a contingency fee basis. Make sure you understand the fees that your attorney charges before signing on.
- Personality: You want an attorney who is compassionate, empathetic, and understands the difficulties that you are going through after a TBI.
What to Expect from the Legal Process
The legal process after a TBI can be lengthy and complex. After hiring a personal injury attorney, the following steps will typically occur:
- Investigation: Your attorney will investigate the accident that resulted in the TBI and gather evidence to prove negligence.
- Medical Review: Your attorney will review your medical records and follow up with medical professionals to determine the extent of your injuries and projected recovery time.
- Demand Letter: Your lawyer will deliver a letter of demand to the liable party or their insurance provider, outlining the damages you have incurred and the settlement you are pursuing.
- Settlement or Trial: Your lawyer will engage in negotiations with the insurance company representing the party responsible for your case in order to seek a settlement. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, your attorney will take your case to court.
Moving Forward After a TBI
Once you've enlisted the services of a personal injury attorney, you can shift your focus towards recuperation and progressing in life. A personal injury attorney will assist in ensuring that you obtain the necessary medical treatment and rightful compensation. Additionally, they can connect you with support resources to help you cope with the long-term effects of a TBI.
Reach out to local personal injury attorneys to learn more.