Get A Lawyer After A Sideswipe Accident

Sideswipe and blind spot accidents are incredibly common, but that does not mean they are easy to deal with. If you have been injured in a sideswipe accident caused by somebody else, you may be entitled to compensation.

If you were the victim of one of these car accidents, here's what you need to know before pursuing a legal claim.

Who Is At Fault in a Sideswipe Accident?

It is possible that either party could be responsible for a sideswipe accident, but it is important that you understand the situation before you make your claim. You need to know what may have caused the sideswipe accident and what circumstances led to one party being at fault.

Often, these accidents are the result of blind spots. Blind spots present areas where you cannot see another vehicle without turning your head, which means somebody could merge lanes into another vehicle. Speeding, reckless driving, or aggressive driving, can also lead to these accidents. Distractions and substances do not help either.

So, why is it important to note fault? You need to get this information so you can present evidence that the other party was the at-fault individual in this accident. A police officer's statement or a witness statement can help with this step of the process.

Why Does Fault Matter in Sideswipe Accidents?

The individual at fault for your accident matters when you want to pursue a legal claim against another individual or insurance company. In some states, even having a small percentage of fault on your side can make a difference in whether or not you receive compensation for your injuries and other damages.

In other cases, fault matters because it makes a difference in how much money you can recover. For example, if you are determined to be 45 percent at fault for the accident, the other party may owe you 55 percent of your damages.

Why Do You Need an Attorney?

When you are sideswiped, you need a car accident attorney to make sure you have representation. You do not want to foot the bill for an accident that was not your fault. An attorney uses the available evidence to argue on your behalf.

Contact a Car Accident Attorney

A car accident attorney can help you take the steps necessary to move forward with your claim. If you believe you may be owed money because of a sideswipe car accident, you should consult with a professional who can provide you with guidance.