I’m Not Ready For This: What To Do When Your Ex Wants To Modify The Custody Agreement And Move Away

When you share custody of your child with the other parent, it can seem like you're always walking on a tightrope. At times it can feel like the tightrope is being shaken, and you're about to lose your footing. One of the times it can feel like that is when the other parent talks about moving. If the other parent has told you they're moving out of the area, and they want to modify the custody arrangement, it's time to grab hold of something, especially if you're not prepared for a modification, or to have your child travel long distances alone. Here are four steps you'll need to take if your ex is moving out of the area.

Talk to Your Attorney

When it comes to modifying custody agreements, the first thing you need to do is talk to your attorney. You'll need to know what legal options you have available. If your custody orders are relatively new – less than a couple of years old – you'll definitely need your attorney. Most states won't allow modifications to new orders. If your ex is trying to get you to agree to modify new custody orders, you'll need an attorney to help you through the process.

Try to Find Common Ground

If your ex is trying to make drastic changes to the custody orders, try to find common ground first. It's often better in the long run if you keep the courts out of the initial decision-making process. This is particularly true if you're worried that your ex may get more time than you're willing to agree to right now. By sitting down together, you and your ex may be able to agree to new terms that will be in the best interest of your child, and that will work well for the two of you.

Look Into Relocation

If your ex is going to be moving a considerable distance, and it will require your child to travel alone or make each visit much longer, you may want to look into relocation for yourself. This option works well when you work from home or have a profession that will allow you to relocate easily. By relocating, you can keep the original orders in place, which will allow your child to continue a close relationship with both parents, without making drastic changes to their life.

Go Back to Court

If you've tried everything, and you can't come to terms with your ex, it's time to talk to your attorney about heading back to court. In some cases, court intervention is the only way to sort things out and avoid hostility.

To learn more, contact a law firm like Ritter & LeClere APC Attorneys At Law